Union School District
Power Outage Procedures
During any given year, schools may experience a power failure at various locations ranging from a few minutes to several days. Typically, we do not close school unless there are compelling reasons to do so.
Classrooms are equipped with emergency supplies, including lanterns, flashlights, and walkie-talkies. In most short-term power outage situations, there is adequate light from windows and emergency lighting, as well as warm enough conditions for instruction to continue. Teachers are prepared to cope with a short-term power failure and will continue their regular curriculum and/or appropriate substitute assignments.
In the case of a power failure at the school site, we will follow these procedures:
- The first day of a power failure, the school will be open and classes held unless otherwise directed by the Superintendent.
- Hot lunches will still be provided and lunch will be held in the cafeteria.
- If the power is not on by 7:00 A.M. on the second consecutive day, the Superintendent will consider whether closing the school site is necessary. Only the Superintendent can order the closing of a school site.
- If school is closed, the Superintendent’s office will communicate the information to the community via:
- Local Radio and TV Stationlight
- District Website
- School Website
- School phone messenger (if possible)
- Notices posted at the school sites
- Sites not directly affected by a power failure will remain open.
Union School District may update these procedures periodically. Please check back to be sure you are aware of the most current procedures in place.